Tuesday 22 July 2014

Post Baby Weight Loss

I wouldn't hesitate to say that losing baby weight is among the top goals of moms. As I promised many weeks ago, I've been tracking my own weight loss and will indeed share with you the physical changes, even though it makes me extremely nervous and self conscious. After all, here I am, the stereotypical skinny girl who now has a budda belly. Talk about being out of my comfort zone.

During my pregnancy I went from 125lbs to 168lbs. Ouch! So much for trying to control my weight gain. Damn those sour keys. So I put on 43lbs in total but still figured I could drop a lot of it and very quickly. And then labour happened and I ended up with an unexpected c-section. That certainly threw a wrench in my plans.

As per doctors orders I was unable to workout for 6 weeks. No lifting anything heavier than my baby and no activity except for walking. I'm far too much of a busy body so against my doctors orders I started lifting the stroller and car seat between 3 and 4 weeks. I told myself that I had more than enough arm strength to do this without over engaging my core. Thankfully I managed not to screw anything up with my recovery.

For the first 5 weeks, aside from lifting the stroller, all I did was walk. Day by day I got faster and stronger and thinner (kinda). Once the 5 week mark hit my busy body gene got the best of me. I couldn't stay out of the gym any longer. I was very careful, only lifting 7.5lb weights and walking on a treadmill. I tried many different exercises only to find out my core was still far too weak to do them, so I didn't.

What surprised me the most was how quickly I regained strength and stability. By week 6, I was able to do all my normal exercises, albeit at lower weights. Now at week 9 I am about 90% back to usual. I can't do any jumping exercises and traditional ab work is off limits. My abs separated during pregnancy (no shocker there considering I carried soooo far forward) which means I need to rehab them to get them to come back together without me doing further damage.

As for weight loss numbers, by 4 weeks postpartum I had dropped 29lbs with very little effort. I was pumping 8 times a day (usually every 2 - 3 hours) and eating A LOT! I started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle for milk production and the blessed thistle made me soooo hungry! Now at 9 weeks postpartum I have lost 36 lbs. There are only 7 measly pounds left.

In all honestly I would actually be totally fine if I stayed at this weight (132lbs). It's a totally healthy and normal weight for my height but it's my damn belly that I can't wait to get rid of. Prepregnancy, my waist measured 27 inches. At the end of my pregnancy it ballooned to 43 inches. Now I sit at 33 inches and its making me crazy! I am desperate to have my flat tummy back. Yes yes I know, I'm only 9 weeks out, and I had a c-section blah blah blah-diddy-blah. It still makes me nutty.

I've been stuck in this awkward stage where my maternity shorts are far too big but my prepregnancy shorts/pants are too tight (can you say mega muffin top!?) or they don't do up at all. Yesterday I finally found a pair of shorts that will work for the in between time. I chose a high-waisted (can you say mom jeans?) jean short. Anything low rise cuts my tummy at exactly the WRONG spot. They are 2 sizes bigger than what I "normally" wear but man does it feel good to wear something that fits!

****UPDATE**** I'm now 5 months post partum and almost completely back to normal. My ab separation has gone down to about 1 finger width and I am stronger than I was before I was pregnant. I can lift heavier weights at the gym and my cardio is better too! I can jump again but push ups are still evading me. Its something about my core strength. It's ok, I don't really like push ups anyways lol. My weight is stuck at 129lbs and I'm totally good with it. There is a little bit of loose skin still and my belly button will never ever been an innie again but for the most part my body is back. Keep the faith, it will come if you work at it!

**** ANOTHER UPDATE ****

I'm now 10 months post partum and  almost totally back to my prepregnancy body. My measurements and weight are all what they used to be however physically there are still a few trouble spots. Remember my broken crotch? Thats still haunting me. I have a hard time isolating each leg without pain. My hip flexors have always been tight but seem to be extra tight still. My abs are still slightly separated but when I flex they touch again! YAY! After seeing a personal trainer I've learned I have an over developed trap and lat on opposite sides and that is all because of holding Ella on the same side all the time.  Overall, I"m feeling great in the gym, stronger that before and continuing to improve.

***** JANUARY 2016 UPDATE *****

I'm not 18 months post partum and can officially say all the trouble areas are free from pain. Finally!! The past year and a half has flown by and I wish I could have told myself to be patient and believed that I would get back to where I wanted to be if I just gave myself time. If you are on your journey back to a pre baby body, be patient. It'll come. Do it gradually and you will succeed! I've uploaded a current tummy image, aside from that wrinkly outie of a belly button that annoys me I am extremely pleased and proud of my results.

So here is the incredibly intimate, makes me anxious and want to throw up part... the belly visual. Below is a weekly (mostly) progression of my weight loss journey. Can't believe I'm doing this....




















































Here is my 19 month post partum photo... took a lot of time to get here but I am so very proud of myself for sticking with it!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! It really is scary the prospect of the body changes us prospective moms will go through one day. It's nice to see it put out in the open so we can be ready for it! And you look amazing by the way, your progress is nuts!

    ReplyDelete