Saturday 3 February 2018

Ethan's Birth Story


Ethan was born via emergency (and unexpected) c-section on January 3rd. My partial placenta abruption caused 5 weeks of active bleeding and ultimately caused my water to break at 24 weeks and 5 days. I was admitted to RCH and was told I would be there until either baby came or I reached 28 weeks. On January 2nd I started having cramping and was taken from my room in maternity to labour and delivery to be monitored. Ethan's heart rate was elevated at 170 for over an hour on the NST (non stress test), his usual rate was about 140. The cramping ended and I was able to return to my bed for the night.

I had another NST in the morning and they were unhappy with his performance. He was having quite a few decels (decelerations in heart rate). I was sent back to Labour and Delivery and spent 5 hours on the NST. Again, his decels continued and began to become more frequent and extended. The doctor explained it as "imagine you are swimming to the bottom of the pool over and over again, you will get very tired and poorly oxygenated" thats essentially what Ethan was doing. It's likely that because there was very little amniotic fluid left, his cord was being compressed and restricting his oxygen.

It went very quickly from "we may need to deliver" to "let's get to OR". My cesarean with Ella was overwhelming but this one was a whole new level. We had a team of about 20 people in my operating room. From the OBGYN to the Anesthesiologist to the Neonatologist and Pediatrician. Not to mention the nurses, students and other doctors. The team was incredible, particularly the Anesthesiologist who held my hand the whole time until Steve could come in.

Ethan was born breathing on his own and peeing (typical boy) and placed into a plastic bag for warmth. He was taken by the NICU team to his own bed and put on CPAP. Before taking him into the NICU to get settled they brought him to me so I could see and "hold" him. I could hardly tell what he looked like with his CPAP and hat on, but his tiny hand reach up from the bag and he placed it on my mouth as if to say "Hi Mom, I'm here now". I gave his hand a kiss and he was off to the NICU.

My surgery was completed and after my time in recovery (only about 1 hour) they rolled my bed into the very crowded NICU so I could see him before heading back to my room in Maternity. Thus begins our NICU journey...

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible entry into the world ❤
    He was blessed to be born to such amazing parents and with the help of a fantastic team of doctors and nurses.

    That must have been such a stressful time and the NICU journey to follow...The strength you must carry with you every day is something not everyone can summon.

    ReplyDelete