Monday 4 November 2013

I'm turning into THAT Mom...

Peanut isn't even here yet and I'm already turning into THAT Mom...

You know the one, finds the inappropriate in everything! Perfect example is Lady Gaga's new song "Do What You Want". I was listening to it on the way to work and started thinking how in the world would I explain this song to my son or daughter. "Do what you want to my body" Are you kidding me!? WTF Gaga.

As a radio personality, controversial songs are nothing new to me but my perspective on them has changed overnight. I used to think these songs weren't really a big deal but now I picture my little girl singing along to them and I'm kinda horrified.

As the voice of reason for your child, how do you help them understand these sort of songs and how do you guide them in the right direction?!?!?!

PS - If I ever become the Mom who comments on multiple Facebook posts all up in arms over nothing, someone please slap me.

2 comments:

  1. Having children introduces us to the new you . It didn't happen to me until maybe two weeks after my son Nathan was born .. I was holding on to that denial that I was still me . What really happened though was my son showed me who I really was not the person that went along with his friends . My whole prospective changed . Things that were not my problem or just a " whatever " went away . In it's place accountability and a whole view of the world at large . In short my son made me a better person and I wouldn't change a thing :) P.S my son is ten now . Thing I've found most difficult over the years is knowing how to let them be individuals and when to draw the line . I guess it just comes down to what feels right . Remembering that as parents were not always going to nail it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny i read this today describes my P.S perfectly . http://drkellyflanagan.com/2013/11/06/the-reason-every-kid-should-talk-back-to-their-parents/

    ReplyDelete