Friday 9 May 2014

Week 41: Woah Now! What was that gush!?

Quick Recap: Still pregnant. What? You're looking for more detail? Big, more stretch marks (ugh), puffy feet again, walking a lot and eating lots of spicy food.

Peanut's Progression: Just growing. Doc estimates about 8.5 lbs. Still happy and healthy.

So I'm Over Due... Now What?

As per first baby protocol, our little wiggles is taking their sweet ass time arriving. Good thing I was SURE I would be early! No offense to my doctor, because I love him dearly, but I am SO sick of seeing him! At this point I see him every 3 days or so. Everything measures normally, baby's heart rate is strong and normal, and my good old cervix is still stuck at 1cm (although it is thinner).

I've become much more emotional after my appointments now because I am so desperate to have made more progress and for him to think I'm on my way to labour. The best cure for this has been to get my butt outside and run errands or go for a nice walk, mostly anything to keep my mind off going into labour.

As for technicalities, once you reach 1 week past due you should go in for an ultrasound and an NST (non stress test). I had both of mine today. The ultrasound is very fast. They are simply checking to ensure baby is surrounded by enough fluid. They often also check that your placenta and cord are still functioning well and supporting baby. The NST monitors baby's heart rate for 20 - 40 minutes and you push a button each time baby moves. They then compare the heart rate and the movements. Each time the baby moves the heart rate should increase and then reduce again.

Wiggles was good on both accounts. Really good NST and there is lots of fluid.

OMG What was that gush!?

What exactly does it feel like when your waters break? Who knows!? I sure don't but I certainly had a moment today thinking mine may have ruptured. We left the doctors office and before we even drove out of the parking lot I felt a small gush of fluid followed by another. I probably could have assumed that it was from my internal but the sensation didn't sit quite right with me.

Close your eyes, too much information coming your way.

On top of the fluid feeling, it was also bright red. If it was indeed my waters breaking that could have indicated bleeding of the placenta. So, I decided to wait until I was already at the hospital to ask about it and my short appointment turned into a couple hours. The trouble with doing this in the hospital is that there are only so many maternity doctors and well, babies come first. Of course while I was waiting someone else's lil munchkin decided to arrive so I had to wait for the delivery to finish before I could see the doctor. How jealous was I!?

If you are unsure if your waters have broken they have a couple different methods of checking. First is a paper test, it changes colour to indicate amniotic fluid (the problem here is that other things, like blood, can cause a false positive.) So the second option is to take fluid directly from your cervix, just like in a pap, and look at it under a microscope.

My test came back negative and I was sent home.

Early Labour Perhaps?

The doctor as the hospital left me with one thought, "I'd be surprised if we didn't see you back here this weekend"

Music to my ears! This morning I was woken up twice with a single contraction. At 6am, after waking for the second time, I couldn't get back to sleep because I was sure there would be another contraction and I wanted to time it. That contraction never came :(

After my appointment this morning, I began to have low back pain. That, coupled with the contractions and my possible "bloody show" today gave the hospital doc the idea that I may be entering early labour and would likely have the baby before my induction date! I don't dare hold my breath but that would be lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment