Tuesday 3 December 2013

Must Have Maternity Items

I tried to put off wearing maternity clothes for quite a while before finally giving in and realizing they are the best clothes ever!!! It can be pricey to fully outfit a new wardrobe to accommodate your new shape but a few basics will really extend your existing clothing.

Old Navy is my favourite place to purchase maternity clothing. They have mastered the basic. Also, as a slim person I can find clothing small enough for me. Destination Maternity was my least favourite store. It's pricey and mostly has medium and large sizes, even the smalls are too large.

In my opinion, must have maternity items include:

Jeans

I have a pair of both "full panel" and "under belly" jeans. Both are comfortable, on cold days I would probably opt for the full panel. I think its good to have a boot cut jean and a skinny. I am pregnant during fall/winter/spring and love boots so the skinny works best for me, but later on the boot cut will be good with sandals or flats.

Leggings/Tights

Just because regular leggings are stretchy does not mean they will be comfortable once you pop. I thought for sure my yoga pants would stretch enough and after a long yoga class I quickly realized they were just too tight on my tummy. Maternity leggings and tights are cut specifically to allow room for your belly, regular leggings may work for a while but eventually that waistband will dig in and give you an unslightly double tummy.

Tanks/T-shirts

These are essential for extending your current wardrobe. I have lots of cardigans and hoodies that I just wear unbuttoned/unzipped and a good maternity tank or tee gives you a nice fitting layer for underneath. When you get too warm for your sweater you'll want to have something cute that fits nice underneath. I happen to LOVE the shirts that are "shirred" or "gathered" at the sides, makes for a more flattering fit although depending how they are made they can sometimes be itchy.

Fancy Outfit

It may be tough to spend the money on a dress or outfit you will only wear a handful of times but don't forget how much better you will feel when you get ready for that special event and you have something beautiful that fits you well to put on.

My Purchases 

I've been very lucky to have Steve and my Mom/Dad buy me the majority of my maternity items. The total spent is probably near $400 for the following:


5 tank tops (Old Navy)
1 t-shirt (Old Navy)
2 long sleeve tees (Old Navy)
2 sweaters (Old Navy)
2 jeans (Old Navy and Thyme)
2 dresses (Thyme and Motherhood)
1 belly band (unknown)
2 leggings (Old Navy)
3 fancy tops (Destination Maternity & Thyme)

The great thing is that the more expensive items will work after baby too because they aren't obviously maternity items.


No comments:

Post a Comment