Thursday 6 March 2014

Week 32: What's sleep?

This isn't me but it definitely show my eating issues
Quick Recap: Dropped 3lbs from last week (water retention?), Fundus height spot on. Baby settled into head down position. Sleep deteriorating. Baby's room progress.

Peanut's Progression: About 16.5 inches long. 3lbs 9oz. Doc says he/she is long and skinny. Brain creating more and more neural connections.

Cranky Calves! 

Several weeks ago I had my first and only calf cramp of my pregnancy and then this week happened. Every night (despite drinking lots of water) I have at least 5 calf cramps. The interesting part is that I can feel them starting in my sleep and I automatically flex my foot to stretch out the muscle. I've managed to avoid a full on cramp so far. I talked to my doctor about it in this weeks appointment and he warned Steve that I may suddenly sit up in the middle of the night and scream bloody murder if a big cramp hits. Considering some of the strange things I do in my sleep, that wouldn't be overly unusual.

Doc's tip for relieving the cramps were to:
1 - stay hydrated
2 - wear compression socks (remember those sexy things from my travel adventure)
3 - elevate my feet before bed

Barf Burps (only the nastiest part yet)

As my coworker put it, I've had an entirely unremarkable pregnancy and for that I am very thankful. Not too many gross things have happened to me but these barf burps are the worst ever!

At the end of December our household came down with Norwalk, which meant a lot of praying to the porcelain gods. All the acid ended up burning my esophagus and causing a sensation of a permanent lump in my throat. Some women will also get this in the 1st trimester if you have really bad morning sickness.

It has gone away for the most part until one of the dreaded barf burps sneaks up on me. At 32 weeks pregnant my stomach has basically experienced its very own lap band surgery. Baby has taken up most of the real estate in my abdomen pushing up all the other great organs that used to reside there. Which means my food container has now been squished beyond belief, which really is a cruel trick when you consider how hungry you get and how little your stomach will hold. WTF mother nature!? You could have designed this better!

So here's the deal... I cram as much food as humanly possible into my stomach and then immediately regret it. There is a desperate need to burp to relieve some of the pressure but then instead of air its gnarly tasting partially digested food. UGH worst thing ever! Not only does it taste vile! But it burns my throat and brings that pain back all over again.

The absolute worst of it happened one night this week. I succumb to my sour patch kid craving and lay in bed reading and shoveling handfuls of the sweet/sour treats into my face, all while mostly reclined in the flat position. Yes, because that is a perfect spot to be in when your trying to keep food down. The scary part happened a few hours later when in the middle of a peaceful sleep I "burp" and instead I almost vomit in my sleep. Obviously I wake up and realize what just happened, and terrified that it will happen again I prop myself up on pillows and attempt to fall back to sleep. Ya right. Sleep. Instead of resting I battle the rest of the night, waking up with either a calf cramp or with the painful sensation of barf burps in my throat.

Still think pregnant women are sexy??

Stained Shirts, Can I get a Bib please?

This is serious business, do not attempt a meal without a belly bib. You heard me! Immediately after sitting at a table to eat, proceed to place your napkin under your boobs and over your belly. You'll thank me later when every single one of your shirts DOESN'T have a food stain on it like mine. I never thought I was a sloppy eater, at least I wasn't until I was prego. Apparently I can no longer properly judge how to hold a fork full of food, how wide to open my mouth and how to chew. Just a hot mess.


1 comment: